Chong Pang City was named after Lim Chong Pang (1904-1956), a Chinese pioneer and businessman.
In 1984, when the centre was launched, most of the shopkeepers were former residents from nearby villages, who formed the Chong Pang Merchants’ Association later to meet mutual interests and provide support for each other in the community.
In 1992, the opening of Northpoint Shopping Centre , caused business in Chong Pang to decline by 20% or more. To meet the competition, the entrepreneurial shopkeepers used their earnings, combined with funds from the Town Council, to install metal awnings, concrete pavements, to beautify shop fronts and to install the two Chinese-style gateways we see today.
These measures successfully made the shopping area more attractive to the residents and improved the business of the neighbourhood centre by almost 30%.
Today Chong Pang City is home to more than 200 businesses as well as a popular hawker centre with some famous names of the culinary scene in Singapore. A bustling wet market also caters to the everyday needs of families for household items and groceries.